We were so excited to wear our Cow costumes to celebrate Cow Appreciation Day at Chick-fil-a last week.
They were giving out a free meal to all of those who dress like a cow, so we did! This is the first time that we have participated in something like this, and it was pretty fun :) My kids loved our costumes, so I thought I would share with you what we did, in case you want to use it for the next Cow Appreciation Day :)
I created a couple of templates for our costumes and used materials we had a home. We wanted a free meal to save money, not a free meal to spend money on art supplies :)
- Black Fabric Paint
- Paint Brush
- Black Sharpie Marker
- Cow Spots Template ( Download Cow spots template HERE )
- Black Construction Paper
- Cow Ears Template ( Download Cow Ears template HERE )
- Black Hats (optional)
- Scrap Pieces of Vinyl
- Plain Color Shirt
- Plain Color Shorts or Pants
HOW TO MAKE THE SHIRTS
- Print out the Cow Spots Template (HERE). Cut around spots and use them as templates. Place over plain color shirt and trace around with black sharpie marker. Use paint brush and paint the inside of the spots with black paint.
***Make sure you place construction paper or something thick inside the shirt to prevent paint from going through both layers.
- Cut a 1.5 inch strip of black construction paper long enough to wrap around your child's head or black hat. Use stapler to secure headband.
- Print out Cow Ear Template (HERE) on cardstock, cut out and use on headband or use as template to trace and cut them out of construction paper.
- Follow picture to cut and fold each ear. Then, staple each section to the headband. One section folded to the front and one to the back so the ear stands by itself.
HOW TO DECORATE SHORTS
I did not wanted to do anything permanent on the shorts (mainly because I ran out of paint), so I used some black vinyl I had from a previous project and the spots template. I also used white paper and stuck spots on shorts with some contact paper (remember, we were saving money not spending).
***For the next Cow Aprreciation Day, I will focus on accessories, shoes, tail, face, etc. :)
Please leave a comment or become a follower of my blog if you use this idea or Cow Spots and Ears templates :)
Thanks for stopping by!
UPDATE: Click Here to read the post for Cow Appreciation Day 2013 :)
UPDATE 2: Click HERE to read the post for Cow Appreciation Day 2014 :)