Monday, July 16, 2012

Cow Costume to Celebrate "Cow Appreciation Day" at Chick-Fil-a


We were so excited to wear our Cow costumes to celebrate Cow Appreciation Day at Chick-fil-a last week.

They were giving out a free meal to all of those who dress like a cow, so we did! This is the first time that we have participated in something like this, and it was pretty fun :) My kids loved our costumes, so I thought I would share with you what we did, in case you want to use it for the next Cow Appreciation Day :)







I created a couple of templates for our costumes and used materials we had a home. We wanted a free meal to save money, not a free meal to spend money on art supplies :)

MATERIALS

- Black Fabric Paint

- Paint Brush

- Black Sharpie Marker

- Cow Spots Template ( Download Cow spots template HERE )

- Black Construction Paper

- Stapler

- Cow Ears Template ( Download Cow Ears template HERE )

- Black Hats (optional)

- Scrap Pieces of Vinyl

- Plain Color Shirt

- Plain Color Shorts or Pants






HOW TO MAKE THE SHIRTS

- Print out the Cow Spots Template (HERE). Cut around spots and use them as templates. Place over plain color shirt and trace around with black sharpie marker. Use paint brush and paint the inside of the spots with black paint.

***Make sure you place construction paper or something thick inside the shirt to prevent paint from going through both layers.





HOW TO MAKE COW EARS

- Cut a 1.5 inch strip of black construction paper long enough to wrap around your child's head or black hat. Use stapler to secure headband.

- Print out Cow Ear Template (HERE) on cardstock, cut out and use on headband or use as template to trace and cut them out of construction paper.





- Follow picture to cut and fold each ear. Then, staple each section to the headband. One section folded to the front and one to the back so the ear stands by itself.










HOW TO DECORATE SHORTS

I did not wanted to do anything permanent on the shorts (mainly because I ran out of paint), so I used some black vinyl I had from a previous project and the spots template. I also used white paper and stuck spots on shorts with some contact paper (remember, we were saving money not spending).



***For the next Cow Aprreciation Day, I will focus on accessories, shoes, tail, face, etc. :)  


Please leave a comment or become a follower of my blog if you use this idea or Cow Spots and Ears templates :)

Thanks for stopping by!


UPDATE: Click Here to read the post for Cow Appreciation Day 2013 :)

UPDATE 2: Click HERE to read the post for Cow Appreciation Day 2014 :)


4 comments:

  1. Getting ready for Friday...any ideas for this year?

    THANKS for the templates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year went by fast! I was not able to post any new before hand :( but we made our own "Eat mor chikin" signs on Friday :) I just post a picture on today's post http://cyndihallcreations.blogspot.com/2013/07/cow-appreciation-day-at-chick-fil-a.html
      THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR COMMENT! Let me know what you thought about the signs we made :)
      I am glad you used the templates :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this link to the spots. For our family of 6 I was not nearly as detailed as you, but I did love the spot template. I just cut them out and taped them on and used the free hats/cowheads from our local Chic-fil-a! I found your blog through a google search for "cow spot template" and wanted to let you know I appreciated it and shared it.
    Allison from http://deeprollingrightfield.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I am so glad you were able to use them. We used them again this year, and this year we made our own "Eat mor chikin" signs. I will post pictures soon. Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

      Delete