Thursday, June 27, 2013

My arts and crafts/card making background :)

I love making things and give them out to people, that is just who I am. I am always making things; birthday gifts, christmas gifts, all kinds of gifts but I have been a card maker since I can remember. When I learned to write, I used to give my mom letters and used to decorated them as well. My mom still have some around and every time I read them, I laugh because I had such bad Spanish grammar (now that I am a Spanish teacher, believe me, I write a lot better...LOL). At school, we always had some sort of card exchange for the holidays, and I enjoyed that very much. Anyway... I used to use everything I had on hand: chalk (from my mom's school), rub on letters (from dad's work), color pencils, paper, scissors, glue (from school). They always turned out great, unique and very original. We are talking about 1989-1995 in Mexico where there were no card making tools nor resources :)

When I was expecting my first child, it was my first summer off as a teacher. One day I turned on the TV after my husband left for work and I came across the HGTV's Carol Duval Show. I had never watch a show such as that one. I fell in love with it. It was my kind of show! Three different craft techniques in 30 minutes. What else could I ask for!!! So I woke up at 6:25am every day to catch the 6:30am show...during my time off (Crazy! I know). I just enjoyed it that much. So pretty soon after I started "following" the show, I found out that the show was already in the reruns, so I tried to watch every single one! I even recorded a few on VHS :) So I learn so many things about paper crafting, card making and polymer clay. I started walking the aisles of Hobby Lobby and noticed that the products I needed were not as expensive as I thought. That is when my collections of tools and crafts products started. The Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon and the clearance section at the store became my best friends.

After many trips to Hobby Lobby, I had enough products to start making stuff. I started working with polymer clay, it is such a fun medium to work with. I even made jewelry and sold a few items at a craft show. I will post about that some other time, but first I will focus on card making since it has been part of my life for a long, long time.

Enough of background information, stay tuned for my next post about card making, my new sketch series, my new tools and my past publications on CARDS Magazine.

Thanks for stopping by!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment